A Historic, Towering Landmark for All to See
Located on a windswept point of land north of San Simeon, the construction of the Piedras Blancas lighthouse began in 1874 and took a mere ten months to complete. The location was chosen to fill the gap between lighthouses at Point Conception and Point Pinos. Originally standing 100 feet tall, earthquake damage led to the removal of the upper 3 levels in 1949.
Built in the 1870s, the tower’s location was chosen to fill the gap between existing lighthouses at Point Conception and Point Pinos. It remained steadfast until a 4.6 magnitude earthquake struck the area in 1948, shaking the Piedras Blancas Lighthouse and damaging the entire top of the structure.
Now at 70 feet in height, the Piedras Blancas lighthouse is still an imposing structure. Currently a modern marine aero beacon sits atop the lighthouse. The original Fresnel lens was moved to Cambria where it is on display next to the Veteran’s Memorial Building. The old lead based paint was removed from the tower in 2012 and it was painting gleaming white, reminiscent of its former glory.
Located six miles north of Hearst Castle, the Piedras Blancas Lighthouse is located just off California Highway 1. However, please note that all tours begin at the former Piedras Blancas Motel, which is 1.5 miles north of the lighthouse. Tours of the lighthouse are available all year long.
To plan your Piedras Blancas Light Station tour, please visit the Bureau of Land Management website today.
View Tours and Hours List the Piedras Blancas Light Station Association website now.
Piedras Blancas Light Station Association
The Piedras Blancas Light Station Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting the restoration, interpretation, and stewardship of Piedras Blancas Light Station. Because of their efforts, one of San Simeon’s most treasured landmarks will live on, holding its place in both the area’s history and future.